Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pomegranate and Toasted Walnut Quinoa Salad

It's been cold (shocker, right?). It seems to be the only thing that people are talking about but seriously, OMG they're right.  It's so cold that I can't bear to bring myself to get out of bed to walk the short walk to the gym in the morning (and not much stops from going to gym in the mornings). Instead I huddle with my cup of tea near the heater and look longingly at the weather in CA (55 today! 59 tomorrow! sigh). Clearly I am not a native East Coaster.

Now that we're back and it's a new year, I'm trying to make a concerted effort to eat healthier. I always try to eat healthy, but my will power is about the size of an ant. Put something with dark chocolate and peanut butter near me and I'm a goner. I'm continually on the quest to give up refined sugar, but it's an evil addiction (clearly I gave this up all together in Europe- I didn't even stand a chance). However, it's a new year!

The good thing about the Pomegranate and Toasted Walnut quinoa salad is that it's naturally a little sweet. The sweet pomegranate plays perfectly off of the salty capers and the toasted nuts, creating the perfect flavor combination. Add roasted delicata squash and chickpeas to the mix and you have the ultimate quinoa salad (this one disappeared *quick*). If you have a nut allergy, pumpkin seeds could be a tasty substitution.  Maybe I'll be able to kick this sugar habit after all....

Pomegranate and Toasted Walnut Quinoa Salad


  • 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
  • 2 delicata squashed cut into one inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup capers
  • 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2-3 cups of quinoa cooked (depending on desired amount)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 tbsp walnut oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly toss the squash with salt, pepper, and olive oil and roast until golden brown. Meanwhile, lightly toast the walnuts on a medium heat skillet (no oil) for approximately 2-3 minutes- be careful not to let them burn. Combine walnuts, capers, pomegranate seeds, capers, chickpeas, quinoa, salt, pepper, and walnut oil. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love your creativity, especially when it comes to quinoa. You've gotten me hooked on that little grain. Previously I only used it as a breakfast cereal. Now, I'm going to use it to accompany lots of dishes. Thanks for planting the idea. I also love your enthusiasm when it comes to cooking. Looking forward to more recipes. Michael B

    ReplyDelete